2008 Summer Reading Recommendations
John Martin Fischer recommends
- Fischer, Kane, Pereboom, and Vargas, Four Views on Free Will, Blackwell, 2007
- Peter van Inwagen, An Essay on Free Will, OUP, 1986 (for those interested in the metaphysical aspects of agency theory)
- Robert Kane (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Free Will, OUP, 2004.
Agnieszka Jaworska recommends Bennett W. Helm, Emotional Reason: Deliberation, Motivation, and the Nature of Value, Cambridge, 2001.
Robin Jeshion recommends Lucy O’Brien, Self-Knowing Agents, OUP, 2007.
John Perry plans on re-reading Henri Bergson, Time and Free Will: An Essay on the Immediate Data of Consciousness, Dover, 2001.
Erich Reck plans on
- reading the
following this summer:
- John Horty, Frege on Definitions: A Case Study in Semantic Content, OUP, 2007
- Charles Parsons, Mathematical Thought and Its Objects, Cambridge, 2008
- Hans-Johann Glock, What Is Analytic Philosophy? Cambridge, 2008
- and perhaps teaching a course on each of the following in the near future:
Update: See also the Philosophy Talk Summer Reading List.